Tips for Healthy Eyes for Frequent Computer Users
Currently there is a near epidemic of new eye problems as a result of using computers for extended periods of time. Staring at screens for 8 hours or more a day is causing all kinds of eye health issues globally. We all could use tips for healthy eyes to think about. All people who work with computers could benefit from knowing a bit more about how to have healthy eyes, and keep it that way. There is nothing more precious than our eyesight, so let’s examine what some of those ideas are we should be aware of.
First, let’s take a look at the problems people are experiencing as a result of long computer screen exposure. There is a difference between just being uncomfortable, and having deteriorating eyesight affect your work performance itself. There are many, many people who use computers regularly having the same symptoms. There are a list of symptoms you should check out and be aware of if you spend many hours working on computers and stare at the screen for extended periods.
List of Common Poor Eye Health Symptoms
- Blurred Vision
- Eye Irritation
- Double Vision
- Neck and Shoulder Pain
Using computers for long periods regularly creates a great amount of exertion on eye muscles and will strain the eyes, causing these problems. The glare of the screen in one more issue that affects eye health when using computers frequently. Air conditioning in offices has also created conditions for eyes to become dry. Luckily, long-lasting eye damage problems are not likely, generally, with these conditions. However, the regular performance of work activities will end up being affected, and there will be pain and discomfort for those who don’t take steps to address this issue.
Tips Anyone Can Use for Healthy Eyes
- Take Regular Breaks – every hour take a 5-10 minute break from staring at the computer screen.
- 20/20/20 Method – focus on an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds every 20 minutes; this helps condition your eyes to deal better with long computer screen exposure.
- Eye Drops – use artificial tears or eye drops to keep your eyes properly moist.
- Reduce the glare on your screen; choose an anti-glare screen if you can,and turn off lights that fall directly on-screen.
- Tweak Monitor Brightness – set the screen brightness to levels that do not interfere with comfortable viewing; dimmer screens mean less eye strain and better eye health.
- Wear Glasses if you Need Them – if you require glasses,make sure you use them; don’t strain your eyes without glasses, this will cause a lot of unnecessary eye strain and is an easy way to take better care of your eye health.
- Clean Screen – keep your screen clean; dirt or spots will strain your eyes unnecessarily, and this is easily avoided with proper screen care.
- Screen Positioning – make sure your screen is properly positioned; place screen 18-24 inches away and make certain you do not look upwards at the screen.
- Text Size – it is easy to change your text size on your computer, and this will result in much less eye strain overall (and make it easier to work too).
- Periodic Long Breaks – Give yourself period rest breaks, and do not look at screens or tablets for several evenings or afternoons a week. Find something else to do and give those eyes a break; it is recommended once in a while to give your eyes 1-2+ days away from the screen entirely.
These are some great tips to keep your eyes healthy and avoid pain and discomfort when you are on the job or using computers a lot for personal reasons. You can easily take any of these steps; it is not hard to use these measures. If you are experiencing eye problems, see your eye health professional and discuss your symptoms and get treated. These tips will help you if you are having eye health issues now or can prevent them before they start. To talk more about this, or anything else, please Contact Us. Thanks.